Summer Funding

Summer Courses

Penn’s grant-based undergraduate financial aid program does not extend into summer sessions, and students should understand in advance that most aid will be available in the form of federal or private student loans. Students interested in summer course aid should fill out the application on the SRFS financial aid forms page, which is posted in the spring semester. 

To be eligible for federal aid during the summer, students must be enrolled at least half-time. This means a minimum of 2 c.u. across both summer sessions. Students who are only enrolled in 1 c.u. should still complete the application so SRFS can help you officially determine your options. Students must be enrolled in courses that can be applied to their degree program, which includes Penn-sponsored summer study abroad courses. Students must have received need-based financial aid during the academic year prior to their summer session and, if requesting aid for the Summer II session, must complete a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year.

Students enrolled in summer classes can also apply for the Summer Federal Work-Study program. To apply, students must complete both the current and upcoming academic year FAFSA and submit the Summer Work-Study online application. Funding is provided on the basis of financial need.

Summer Internship/Research Opportunities

Offices across campus offer limited funding opportunities for summer internships and research experiences. Career Services has compiled a list of summer funding resources that students can apply to.

SRFS offers a limited summer funding program for Highly Aided sophomores and juniors who are pursuing unpaid or underpaid internships or research opportunities. Students can visit the Highly Aided Summer page for more information.