External Credit

External Credit at Penn

Students can request academic credit for external courses taken outside of Penn, such as:

  • Transfer credit - courses taken at another institution before matriculating at Penn

  • Credit away - courses taken at another institution over the summer after matriculating at Penn

  • Study abroad credit - courses taken through an approved Penn Abroad program

Generally speaking, credit may be awarded for academically-based courses that were taken and passed at a regionally accredited institution, and are similar in content and instructional time to the courses on Penn’s campus. External credit is subject to review and approval by a representative of the appropriate Penn department.

    School-Specific External Credit Policies

    Please visit the following pages to review external credit policies specific to your school. Note that requirements may vary by department. Students wishing to apply for credit away must obtain approval from the appropriate department or division administrator at Penn before enrolling in the course.

    College of Arts & Science

    For departmental and program contacts, refer to the Contacts for Credit Evaluation page.

    For general questions, contact col-xcat@groups.sas.upenn.edu

    Penn LPS Online

    Contact advisor lpsonline@sas.upenn.edu

    Engineering & Applied Sciences

    Contact SEAS registrar office registrar@seas.upenn.edu


    Contact undergraduate advising advisor@nursing.upenn.edu


    Contact undergraduate advising undergradinfo@wharton.upenn.edu