Using VA Benefits

Your application process will differ depending on the benefit you are trying to access and, in some cases, the academic program you are pursuing.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Please contact:

Department of Veteran Affairs
Regional Office
5000 Wissahickon Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19144

Chapter 33, Post 9-11 G.I. Bill® Benefits

Request a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar. After you register for classes, inform the Registrar’s Office and they will certify your enrollment with the VA.

To transfer Chapter 33 Benefits to a dependent, the service person must contact the VA directly to begin this process.

All Other Chapters

Please submit a copy of your DD 214 to the Office of the University Registrar.

Yellow Ribbon

To be eligible, you must have 100% eligibility for Chapter 33 Benefits and not currently have active duty status. After you submit your Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of the University Registrar, you will be placed in your academic program’s queue on a first-come, first-served basis.

Non-Degree Students and Visiting Students

VA education benefit-eligible students who would like to enroll in one or more courses at Penn as a non-degree student are considered “visiting students” by the VA and are subject to different restrictions when using their VA education benefits.

Visiting students are advised to contact the Office of the University Registrar prior to registering for classes and incurring charges as benefit eligibility varies on a case-by-case basis.

Visiting students who are degree-seeking at another institution are required to submit an approved letter from the home institution which guarantees that the courses can be transferred back to the original program.

Visiting students who are not degree-seeking and are seeking to enroll in courses to gain admission to a degree program can be certified for up to two terms as a non-degree student. 

School Certifying Official Contact

The Office of the University Registrar
University of Pennsylvania
Franklin Building, Room 150
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6273