Academically Related Activities
The University of Pennsylvania uses the following federal definitions when referring to "academically related activities" in its policies.
Academically related activities include, but are not limited to:
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
- Attending a study group (ex: recitation, group project work, lab) that is assigned by the instructor;
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course
Academically related activities do not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:
- Living in institutional housing;
- Participating in the institution's meal plan;
- Logging into an online class without active participation; or
- Participating in academic counseling or advisement.