Academically Related Activities
SRFS Sidebar Menu
SRFS Below Traversable
The University of Pennsylvania uses the following federal definitions when referring to "academically related activities" in its policies.
Academically related activities include, but are not limited to:
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
- Attending a study group (ex: recitation, group project work, lab) that is assigned by the instructor;
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course
Academically related activities do not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:
- Living in institutional housing;
- Participating in the institution's meal plan;
- Logging into an online class without active participation; or
- Participating in academic counseling or advisement.